Galvladi Mountain Lodge
Magnificent Retreat at the Nantahala National Forest
THIS LISTING NO LONGER ACTIVE
Discover a quintessential mountain lodge with breathtaking views, remarkable design, tasteful décor and superior construction. The epitome of rustic elegance, Galvladi mountain lodge features a completely private setting buffered by the Nantahala National Forest and nature conservancy land. Located near Sylva, North Carolina, the property is ideal as a family compound, private estate or classic corporate retreat center. Galvladi is the Cherokee word for heaven. Once you visit this incomparable retreat, you’ll feel the meaning behind the name.
The Residence |
Constructed of massive pine logs from upper Michigan and more than 25 tons of stone, Galvladi lodge offers 10,000+ square feet of impeccable living space. The logs and chinking alone provide higher R-value than a 2X6 wall. The residence also boasts a solar footprint, energy-saving argon windows, and several hot water heaters zoned for energy efficiency. Construction features include underground utilities, poured concrete foundation, radiant floor heat on the lower level, gas forced heat as a secondary heat source on the upper level and a back-up electric generator.
Great Room |
The centerpiece of this handsome great room is a large stone fireplace boasting the energy-efficient Rumford design, a clever 18th century design that allows as much radiant heat as possible to be reflected into the room. Notice the pizza oven built into this remarkable fireplace. This grand room also features wood floors, exposed log beams, vaulted ceilings and a wall of large glass windows and doors looking out to the porch and the mountain views beyond.
This fully appointed commercial kitchen provides complete amenities for the most discerning chef. The floor space is designed for efficient work flow. Appliances include a convection oven large enough to hold a 25-pound turkey. Additional highlights include chef’s office, large pantry, fire protection system, utility closet and large center island.
Spacious and bright, this mountain-style formal dining room provides enough space to seat 22 people in comfort. Notice the wood floors, rustic furnishings and easy kitchen access.
The luxurious master bedroom features a private patio plus a unique log tray ceiling with a prow window. Six individually-themed bedrooms feature a full range handsome amenities and striking décor. All bedrooms feature wet bars, refrigerators and floor drains. Attractive appointments include vaulted ceilings, barn wood and log walls. Two of the bedrooms include special design features such as fireplaces, spa tubs and walkout patios. A unique tub rock treatment gives the feeling of flowing water right from a mountain stream. Big views fill the spacious windows.
3-Level Living |
The residence offers spaciousness and privacy on three levels. The main level offers common living spaces while the upper level hosts bedrooms and walk-in storage area. The lower level provides a large media room with fireplace, utility room and complete workout facility with two massage rooms. Because this floor has 2 foot thick concrete and stone walls, it maintains a constant temperature year round.
The long rocking chair screened porch leads to a spacious turret-style porch overlooking the distant mountain vistas. Guests and family members will appreciate the full variety of indoor/outdoor living spaces designed for entertaining and relaxation.
Expansive outdoor decks supported by massive stone columns overlook spectacular mountain vistas from the back of the lodge. An attractive covered solarium with log posts and lofty cupola provides a shady vantage point for outdoor living.
The Property |
You’ll be spellbound by the magical ambiance of this mountain retreat. To enhance the natural setting, over 5,000 trees have been planted as part of a forestry management program developed in partnership with the North Carolina Division of Forestry. Native trees include poplar, maple, oak, chestnut, pine, black cherry, and hickory. Outdoorsmen will appreciate endless opportunities. From this property, you can hike to the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Nantahala National Forest and the Mountains to the Sea Trail.
The Entrance |
To ensure privacy, the property includes a handsome gated entrance featuring large stone columns with a wrought iron, solar powered security gate.
The Views |
The lodge is constructed to take advantage of unparalleled views across multiple layers of mountains. Autumn brings a palette of rich color. Spring is a spectacular display of rhododendron, mountain laurel, and wild azaleas. Enjoy these unsurpassed vistas year round.
The Location |
Enjoy desirable seclusion with convenient access. Galvladi Mountain Lodge is located on a state road only 4 miles from the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway (U.S. 74/23) and 7 miles from Sylva, North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Parkway is only 8 miles away and Western Carolina University in Cullowhee lies 12 miles away. Shopping and dining in the delightful town of Waynesville is a scenic 14-mile drive from the lodge. The eclectic city of Asheville, 40 miles away, is readily accessed via U.S. 74 and I-40.
Summary of Features
- Built in 2006
- 6 bedrooms; 7 full baths; 2 half baths
- Approximately 10,000+ square feet of living space
- Constructed of pine logs from upper Michigan which provides a higher R-value than a 2X6 wall
- Extensive stonework includes over 35 tons of stone, harvested in part from this property
- Lightning/surge protection installed on both house and garage
- Extra large 1,000-gallon propane tank installed underground
- Private 1,000-foot deep well plus extra underground 250 gallon water storage installed with a backup pump to insure consistent pressure
- Backup electric generator with automatic runs majority of the house electrical needs
- Extra large septic tank
- Premium materials include high quality logs; energy efficient argon windows; copper plumbing; 10” batt insulation between floors and between rooms; weatherproof steel exterior doors; rain gutters all around; poured concrete foundation
- Structure is built to hurricane standards
- Prewired for computer server, internet, and telephone
- Designed with a solar footprint, the home includes overhangs which allow winter sun and block summer heat
- Hot water provided throughout the house by several hot water heaters which are zoned for energy efficiency and supplied with constant recirculation for maximum water conservation
- 5 magnificent stone fireplaces (3 wood burning and 2 gas burning in bedrooms)
- Pizza oven built into fireplace to utilize fireplace heat
- Great room fireplace featuring Rumford design, an 18th century design for heating efficiency
- Entire first floor is heated by radiant floor heat
- Second floor offers gas forced heat as a secondary heat source
- Built-in custom cabinetry throughout
- Fully equipped commercial kitchen includes chef’s office; large pantry; easy work flow; fire protection system; and convection oven large enough to hold a 25-pound turkey
- Giant dining room seats 22 comfortably
- Extra wide, custom-built front door allows easy access
- Master bedroom features private patio and unique log tray ceiling with a prow window
- Each bedroom is individually themed featuring unique characteristics from vaulted ceilings to barn wood to log walls
- All second floor bedrooms include wet-bars, refrigerators and floor drains
- Two second floor bedrooms have both showers and tubs; two bedrooms have special amenities such as fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, and walkout patios
- Lower level featuring a large media room with fireplace; utility space; and a full workout facility with two massage rooms
- Selected baths feature unique tub rock treatment that offers the feeling of flowing water from a stone-strewn stream
- Arched stonework frames the spectacular scenery
- Large, covered porch and open decks for relaxing
- 4,000-foot elevation
- Exceptional south facing mountain views overlook five ridgelines
- Property buffered by Nantahala National Forest and conservancy land, providing supreme privacy
- Large 3-bay garage with unfinished apartment above for caretakers
- Over 5,000 trees planted by a forestry management program in conjunction with the NC Division of Forestry
- Trees include native poplar, maple, oak, chestnut, pine, black cherry, and hickory
- Flowering plants include native rhododendron, mountain laurel, and wild azaleas
- Hike to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Nantahala National Forest, and the Mountains to Sea Trail
- Fire buffer zone surrounds the house
- Pond provides water for landscaping and garden
- Gardens and fruit orchard provide summer produce; greenhouse provides fresh greens all winter
- Underground utilities
- Abundant wildlife
- Gated entrance featuring large stone columns with wrought iron, solar powered security gate
- No zoning; no deed restrictions
- Totally private setting
- Located on a state road
- 4 miles to the Great Smoky Mountains Expressway (divided 4-lane U.S. 74/23)
- 7 miles to Sylva
- 8 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway
- 12 miles to Western Carolina University
- 14 miles to Waynesville
- 40 miles to Asheville
- Drive to the property passes 4 waterfalls
Price | Inactive listing
Contact | For similar properties on the market, contact Bill May or Sheelah Clarkson
or call Bill
or call Sheelah