Chalk Creek Farm
19-Acre Farm with Private Waterfall and Pond
Live beside your own private waterfall and 2-acre pond on 19+ acres. This luxury log home is built half way up Chalk Mountain in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. From the back deck you can see and hear the spring fed 50-foot waterfall that feeds the pond in the lower pasture. The updated home is wonderful for a part time retreat or a year round farm. Enjoy cathedral ceilings, stone fireplace, hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless appliances, master on main. Equestrians will appreciate the large pasture plus custom barn with 5 stalls and tack room.
The Residence |
The log home is privately situated among the trees at the rear of the acreage and offers many outdoor living spaces to enjoy the scenic location. Updated in 2004, the home is approximately 3300 square feet on two levels. With three bedrooms and four baths, this home is comfortable for any size family. There is a loft overlooking the great room and two additional rooms that can be used for guests.
Great Room |
Built with mountain living in mind, the great room has a cathedral ceiling and large glass windows to bring in the light and views. Three sliding doors open out to the upper deck entertainment area. The focus of the room is the 15-foot stone wall with gas fireplace which is accented with recessed lighting. The room also includes high end recessed speakers placed unobtrusively in the walls. All the floors on the main level have new hardwood floors that are hand scraped for a lovely finish.
The hand-built oak stairs lead to a light and bright loft area with large windows that rise from knee to ceiling height. This brings the outside in, giving a tree house feel to the room. This space is large enough to be used as an office, library, sewing room, or additional living area for any pursuit. The loft has hand scraped hardwood floors like those on the other main level floors.
Dining Area and Kitchen |
The dining area and kitchen are part of the open floor plan of this casually elegant home. The kitchen was totally remodeled with updated stainless steel appliances and a stainless steel farm sink. The new granite countertops have a custom finish and edge to compliment the custom cherry cabinets. The built-in cherry banquet allows for a gathering around the dining table to enjoy a social evening. The kitchen also features a convenient built-in kitchen office center.
Family Room |
Downstairs, the large family room opens onto the lower deck. This room has a large wood burning fireplace set into a 25-foot stone wall. There is a built-in firewood box with a wood door so you can access the firewood without going outside in winter weather. With an attractive 9-foot tray ceiling, this room is an informal gathering place to entertain, play games, enjoy TV or give additional living space for guests.
Master Bedroom |
The master bedroom is located off the great room on the main level. This large room boasts plenty of light from the two doors leading out to the deck in front and the patio behind the house. When the waterfall is flowing well, the sound of cascading water can be heard from the master bedroom. The hand scraped hardwood floors make this room consistent with the style of the great room.
Master Bath |
The master bath is newly remodeled with a custom tiled shower that has an L-shaped bench seat. The shower has 3 brushed nickel shower heads behind the tempered glass door. The sink is custom tile with dual sinks. The water closet is behind a sliding oak door.
Guest Suite |
One main level guest room has an attached bath. It also features the hand scraped hardwood floors and the log beams which give the room the cabin feeling that is sought after in the mountains. Another guest room on the main floor features a Murphy bed for guests and attached full bath.
The Lower Level |
The lower level of this home has two rooms that may be used for guests and a custom full bath with rock tiled shower and an unusual metal ceiling. This rustic designed bath is fully in keeping with the informal log home style.
The Grounds |
Behind the house you can see and hear the 50-foot waterfall that originates in a spring. This fall is down a cascade of granite boulders and forms a creek that eventually flows into the 2-acre pond in the lower pasture. At one corner of the pond is a 25-foot gazebo which is great for family gatherings and evening bonfires. Chalk Creek flows through the property next to the barn and divides the pastures. The land is wooded and steeper toward the back with open pastures in the front of the property. The house is hidden but views could be opened by thinning surrounding trees to enjoy the local mountain vistas.
Equestrian Facilities |
The barn is located in the lower part of the property next to the freely flowing Chalk Creek. It is a custom barn with 5 stalls and a tack room. Presently, it is used as a workshop. The barn is 2000 square feet with 2X6 walls and a metal roof. The main floor of the barn is 6-inch concrete. The workbench is 20 feet long. The loft has swing down stairs.
The Location |
Located in Rutherford County this property is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is approximately 15 minutes to Interstate 40 and a total of 45 minutes to Asheville, NC. Although the situation is rural and private you are within 25 minutes of small towns for shopping and hospital. It is about 25 minutes to Lake Lure, NC for boating and restaurants.
Summary of Features
- Log home built in 1994; updated in 2004
- Approximately 3300 square feet of living space
- 3 bedrooms; 4 full baths
- 3 sided wood deck on upper floor, approximately 2000 feet
- Lower level covered deck
- Back patio with view of waterfall
- 2 fireplaces, one gas which can be returned to wood burning, one wood burning, both with stone hearths
- Additional rooms that can be used for guests on lower level
- Great room with open floor plan and 3 exterior glass doors to entertainment deck
- Lower level family roof with wood burning fireplace
- Main level hand scraped new hardwood floors
- 11 new ceiling fans throughout the house
- Remodeled kitchen with stainless steel appliances
- Built-in cherry banquet for casual dining
- Custom cherry cabinets in the kitchen
- Stainless steel farm sink
- Built-in office area in the kitchen
- Recessed speakers in living room
- 15-foot stone wall with access lighting and gas fireplace
- Hand-built oak stairs and banister to loft overlooking living area
- Cathedral ceiling in great room
- Family room with 25-foot wall of stone
- 4 remodeled baths throughout home with custom tile showers
- Well with extra large pressure tank
- New 4-ton 16 Seer heat and air conditioning unit, installed winter of 2010
- Custom 2000-square-foot barn with 2x6 walls
- 5 stalls and tack room
- 20-foot long work bench
- Main floor of 6-inch concrete
- Hay loft with swing down stairs
- Pastures with creek flowing through
- 19.74 acres of pasture and native wood hardwood forest
- Spring fed 50-foot waterfall behind the house
- 2-acre pond fed from creek below waterfall
- Granite outcroppings behind the house
- 25-foot gazebo beside the pond
- Small orchard overlooking pond
- 20 x30 pole barn above the pond for wood storage or hay storage
- Local mountain views from home
- Private land to be used for home farm or retreat property
- Chalk Creeks runs through the lower pasture and beside the barn
- Located in Union Mills, Rutherford County, NC
- 13 miles to Interstate 40
- 14 miles to shopping and dining in Rutherfordton NC
- 15 miles to the Rutherfordton Regional Hospital
- 15 miles to Lake Lure, NC
- 30 miles to Black Mountain, NC
- 45 miles to Asheville, NC
MLS | North Carolina Mountains MLS 525100 & MLS 525206
Price | Offered at $629,000 SOLD!
Contact | To schedule a
private showing, please contact Ann Wigely:
or call Ann