Luxury Downtown Loft
Historic Downtown Hendersonville NC Condo
Savor the eclectic Main Street lifestyle in this magnificent downtown loft. An architect-designed renovation in one of Hendersonville’s notable historic buildings, this stunning loft offers a wealth of original historic features merged with contemporary state-of-the-art interiors. Ideal for a second home or year round living, the loft affords maintenance-free lock-and-leave convenience. Discerning buyers will appreciate the original heart pine floors and wainscoting, transoms with brass fittings, and 10.5-foot ceilings. The gourmet kitchen features Kitchen-Aid appliances, granite countertops, large center island and custom maple cabinetry. Enjoy the elegant master suite with glass block shower, ingenious office, and grand media room with box beam ceiling and home theater. The loft also features a stunning floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace, private rear balcony with poured stamped concrete floor and remarkable front balcony overlooking Main Street.
The Entry |
Your front door is right on Main Street in downtown Hendersonville. The entrance to this luxury condo is a handsome glass door with leaded glass above. Enjoy electronic entry with intercom and two answering systems. Notice the original decorative tin ceiling above the staircase. The wide staircase itself is also original, including the heart pine treads and newel post.
The Foyer |
The wide and welcoming foyer boasts dramatic cove lighting, custom chandelier, and the warmth of heart pine floors. The original wainscoting and crown moldings in the foyer served as a template for trim throughout the rest of the residence. A huge skylight brings in an abundance of natural sunlight. Just around the corner, you’ll find the old telephone box, still in the wall and wired for your home phone.
Great Room |
The heart of this room is the impressive floor-to-ceiling stacked stone gas fireplace. The space also features two exposed brick walls, red oak floors, recessed lighting, huge window, Minka-Aire Gyro ceiling fan, custom drapes and two-inch sheer blinds. Notice the handsome built-ins crafted from the room’s original flooring. The entertainment system includes Marantz surround sound speakers in the ceiling. A clever arched sitting nook provides the ideal spot for reading while French doors lead out to the rear covered balcony.
Chefs will appreciate this generous gourmet kitchen with granite countertops, custom maple cabinetry and large pantry. The 48-inch Kitchen-Aid stainless steel gas stove includes high speed burners, grill, separate griddle and professional hood. A Sharp stainless steel microwave drawer plus Kitchen Aid warming drawer, dishwasher, and refrigerator round out the appliance package. The large center island offers an undermount sink, bar seating, pendant lighting overhead and an abundance of storage underneath. Nearby, the grand two-sided wet bar with gracious archway features glass and mirror shelving, granite countertops and bar sink.
Poised amid an open floor plan with easy access to both the kitchen and great room, the dining area is flanked by the exposed brick wall and accented with an eye-catching Swarovski crystal chandelier. Notice the gleaming red oak floors and distinguished 12-inch crown molding with 10-inch base. There’s plenty of room for a table large enough to seat ten.
Here’s the perfect spot for a personal library or home office. Located off the hallway, this room includes a glass door, built-in custom shelving and a striking five-foot beveled glass panel.
Master Bedroom |
Overlooking Main Street, the spacious master bedroom offers an etched glass entry door with transom and brass fittings, soaring10.5-foot ceilings, original heart pine floors, Minka-Aire Gyro ceiling fan, exposed brick wall, and access to the delightful front balcony. Notice the recessed lighting and original picture molding. The huge 17-foot walk-in closet features all wood shelving and a full wall of closet systems plus packing counter with laundry baskets beneath. The sitting area boasts a cozy and romantic space with a large window and a Lopi Berkshire gas fireplace.
Master Bath |
This luxurious 19-foot master bath features a seven-foot glass block shower with Giessdorf
triple shower head. The room also includes granite countertops, His and Her hand painted sinks, subway tile, Toto bidet and custom stain glass shutters. The doorway to the room showcases a transom with custom stained glass and brass fittings.
Guest Suite |
A huge skylight brings natural sunlight into this comfortable guest bedroom. The room boasts a transom with custom stained glass and brass fittings, heart pine floors, and a large walk-in closet with built-in wood shelving. The lovely ensuite guest bath features an all-ceramic doorless shower, granite countertops and hand painted sink.
Media Room |
This magnificent room features a stunning box beam ceiling and BenQ home theater with high definition projector, 112-inch screen and surround sound. The room also offers unobstructed visibility from the kitchen so that guests can keep up with a ballgame while chatting with the chef.
Powder Room |
Located off the hallway, this lovely powder room features a cherry furniture vanity with undermount sink and Hudson Reed fixtures. Period décor includes push-button electrical switch and high-tank toilet. Notice the handsome crystal chandelier and transom with stained glass.
Laundry & Workshop |
This handy laundry room features granite countertops, washer and dryer, porcelain sink, tile floors and plenty of cabinet space. The adjacent workshop with built in storage offers the ideal spot for handyman projects or serves nicely as an artist’s studio.
Balconies & Views |
Soak up the downtown ambiance on two private outdoor balconies. The front balcony with its original 1909 wrought iron railings overlooks vibrant Main Street in downtown Hendersonville. From here, you’ll have your own private viewing of parades, festivals and daily downtown activities. At the back of the loft is the private covered balcony overlooking the alley. The rear balcony features French door access from the great room, poured stamped concrete floor, wrought iron railing and porch drapes. A handy electric hoist system brings up groceries, luggage and other heavy items from the parking area below.
The loft is located in the historic 1909 Clarke Hardware building, now part of the Main Street Historic District and included in the National Registry of Historic Places. Over the years, this building has been home to the Clarke Hardware Company, the Houston Furniture Company and the Biltmore Village Company. Many of the original interior features have been preserved or duplicated in the renovation, including the skylights, heart pine floors, moldings and wainscoting, doors with transoms, tin ceiling above the stairway, and the front balcony wrought iron railings.
Main Street Lifestyle |
Living on Main Street is like living at the heartbeat of the city. Your family and guests can enjoy a variety of downtown venues within blocks of your Main Street loft.
The Location |
Poised in the heart of downtown Hendersonville near the corner of 5th and Main Street, this luxury downtown loft offers a chic address with a central location. Walk to dining, shopping, coffee shops, the book store, the Flat Rock Theater downtown location and the Hendersonville Little Theater. Located only 2 miles to I-26, 12 miles to the Asheville Regional Airport, 14 miles to Pisgah National Forest, 14 miles to DuPont State Forest, 16 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and 20 miles to Asheville.
Summary of Features
- Built in 1909; Total restoration in 2006
- 2 bedrooms; 2 full baths; 1 half bath
- Approximately 3500 square feet of living space
- Historic Clarke’s Hardware building on Main Street
- Architect-designed restoration by Bill O’Cain
- Restoration by Dennis Dunlap Construction
- Brick exterior
- Trane air conditioning
- Forced air gas furnace
- Rinnai hot water heater
- Private parking with shared guest parking
- Security system with motion detectors
- Electronic door entry with intercom and two answering systems
- Electric lift from alley for groceries and luggage
- 7-foot Marvin insulated windows
- 10 ½-foot ceilings
- 12-inch five-piece crown molding with 10-inch base
- Two huge skylights
- Faces Main Street in the front and ally in the back
- Dedicated parking for two cars
- Maintenance-free lock-and-leave convenience
- Exposed brick walls
- Restored heart pine floors
- Red oak floors in the great room and kitchen
- 12-inch five-piece crown molding with 10-inch base
- Wide hallway with dramatic cove lighting
- Foyer with original 1909 staircase and tin ceiling
- Great room with stacked stone fireplace, built-ins crafted from original flooring, and exposed brick wall
- Marantz Surround Sound speakers
- Rear balcony with poured stamped concrete and wrought iron railing
- Gourmet kitchen with Kitchen-Aid appliances, granite countertops, center island, custom maple cabinetry and large pantry
- Magnificent 2-sided glass and mirror wet bar with sink and granite countertops
- Dining area with Swarovski crystal chandelier and exposed brick wall
- Master bedroom with Lopi Berkshire gas fireplace, Minka-Aire Gyro ceiling fan, exposed brick wall, access to front balcony
- Master bath with glass block shower, Giessdorf triple shower head, Toto bidet, hand painted sinks, subway tile, granite countertops
- Guest room with huge skylight, stained glass transom, period push-button light switch and 12 1/2-foot walk-in closet
- Ensuite guest bath with granite countertops and all ceramic doorless shower and painted sink.
- Media room with box beam ceiling, theater drapes, 112-inch screen BenQ home theater high definition projector and surround sound
- Office with custom cabinetry, glass door and 5-foot beveled glass panel
- Powder room with cherry furniture vanity, push-button electrical switch and high-tank toilet, crystal chandelier and transom with stained glass
- Laundry room with built-in shelving
- Work room for handyman use and arts studio
- Front balcony overlooking Main Street
- French doors leading out to rear balcony
- 2007 Featured in Carolina Home & Garden magazine
- 2008 Historic Tour of City Lofts
- 2008 Featured in Blue Ridge Living section of the Hendersonville Times-News
- Located in downtown Hendersonville on Main Street
- Walking distance to coffee shops, dining, shopping
- 1 mile to several different groceries
- 1 mile to the Oklawaha Greenway
- 2 miles to I-26
- 12 miles to the Asheville Regional Airport
- 14 miles to Pisgah National Forest
- 14 miles to DuPont State Forest,
- 16 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway
- 20 miles to Asheville
Price | Reduced from $925,000 to $899,900
Contact | To schedule a private showing, please contact Sheelah Clarkson
or call Sheelah